Monday, June 14, 2010

CRITICAL COMMENT - HEALTHY AND HELPFUL? ... ABSOLUTELY!



Just a quick word to say thank you to those who offered constructive critical feedback re. my short story, 'Moonlight Sonata'. I have reworked it and re-named it. And, of course, that doesn't for one moment mean, I won't be revisiting it again ... and again, until I'm happy with it ... if there is such a thing! I probably did publish in haste, but then again, there's nothing like taking the bull by the horns and facing the music. Ideas for blogs, stories, plays and poems are coming thick and fast. However seeing images in one's mind is one thing ... painting them with words is another. That's the challenge!

It is my intention to write a novel ... my first, and in all honesty, I'm a few years past the first flush of youth, and 'Blogging', I believe, provides a laboratory for expermimentation, and perhaps a way, to cut a few corners, from the 'Learning How to Write' process. I am looking forward to having more time to deliberate over one phrase ... one word! And I'm certain my writing might be too...too banal, complicated, nonsensical, flowery ... whatever, at times, but hey, I enjoy it and, if by some stroke of luck, I arrange a sequence of words in a manner that pleases another person ...wow!

That reminds me of a trip to see Colm Wilkinson playing Jean Valjean in Les Miserables in Dublin a few years back. I had already seen it in London, but as Colm had been the very first Valjean, it was of special interest to see him playing this role back in his native country after so many years. Most of the singers during that performance sounded as if they had come off a conveyor belt. They seemed to have the same kind of stage-school style of vocal timbre and projection. That is apart from our Colm, and the lady who played the role of Fantine (whose name escapes me now), who had undertaken opera training in Canada. They were outstanding, because they stood out from the uniformity of the others! Back to the point I'm making (worse than Billy Connolly!)Colm Wilkinson made a physical gesture as Fantine lay dying in her bed, which outshone everything else about the show. He took her in his arms or put his arm around her (no romance going on, just a genuine friendship) and it was so incredibly powerful in its truthful naturalness, that it was worth the trip to Dublin just for that gesture alone. It was simply beautiful! (On hindsight, I might have already spoken about this in an earlier blog to a lesser degree.)

A song or a piece of music can beloved for one phrase, one note, one chord change, or perhaps the way a performer sings one word. I was painting 'The Colliseum' at the week-end (food for a later blog) listening and singing along to one of my very, very favourite rock/folk bands, Fleetwood Mac. Stevie Nicks, lead singer with the band, sings with inspired expression from the depths of her soul. To hear her sing a simple word like 'Gypsy' from the song of the same name, is quite unforgettable.

Anyway, if you revisit the short story, (renamed IVORY), or indeed visit for the first time, please feel free to comment on that or anything else, and be as critical as you darn well like. It's all for the learnin' ain't it!!!

Thank you.


Ciao for now!

No comments: