Monday, December 13, 2010

YENTL - PAPA CAN YOU HEAR ME


                         Barbra Streisand as Yentl the Yeshiva Boy


Yentl is a 1983 romantic musical dramatic movie from United Artists, and directed, co-written, co-produced, and starring Barbra Sreisand based on the play of the same name by Leah Napolin and Isaac
Bashevis Singer, which is based on Singer's short story called 'Yentl - The Yeshiva Boy'. The dramatic story incorporates humor and music to relate the odyssey of a Jewish girl in Poland who decides to dress and live like a man so that she can receive an education in Talmudic Law after her father dies. The film's musical score and songs were composed by Michel Legrand.






Just arrived back from the UK today. Had to leave my father, Maurice, who is getting smaller and more fragile, but who still sings with a fine tenor voice and has one of the biggest laughs I have ever heard! So this song from Yentl, Papa Can You Here Me is for you DAD and for fathers everywhere. Over-sentimental maybe, but we only have ONE of them!


Maurice


I am singing in a concert on Friday night and thinking of performing this song for the first time. Won't be anywhere near as good as Barbra's, but hell I'm going to give it plenty of 'welly'!

Check out Miss Streisand's version by clicking below..





                  Barbra Streisand as Herself



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdFlHuyWr0o




Ciao for now!

1 comment:

alaine@éclectique said...

Lovely that you had that special time with your Dad. My Dad has been gone for 21 years; he was wonderful and I think of him and smile.

I didn't see Barbra in Yentl but I've followed her career over the years and have a couple of CDs. I like this song, it's very moving and love the way it goes up and down the scale. All the best with your rendition, Maureen.

Thanks for visiting my blog. xa