Tuesday, January 24, 2012

TALES FROM THE SMOKING STOOL - PIGEON TOES




PIGEON TOES


So there you are again
My grey-feathered friend,
Gliding, fluttering, hovering....
An all-round performer of music hall ilk.
Singer.... dancer....  acrobat,
Could you not take me with you....
If only for ten minutes,
To soar above chimney-potted roofs;
To swing on TV aerials and skinny branches;
To watch through blinking eyes of wisdom
To muse upon the boxes below
That house our fragile humanity.
An unexpected gust of Sidhe's impatience
Threatens to unnerve; unbalance 
But never uncurls the solid claw.

I might not sing as well as you,
But I might make you smile....
Smile, that is, at my willingness.
I might not dance as well as you,
But I might make you laugh....
Laugh, that is, at my pigeon toes.
I might not soar as well as you
But I might make you cry....
Cry, that is, at my helplessness.

Out of my box....
To glide.... to flutter.... to hover,
Just ten minutes.
Would it hurt to try?






Maureen Walsh - Jan 2012


I was introduced recently to the song, WILLOW performed by Beverly Sills. It is simple, soaring, and quite, quite beautiful! Whilst not Irish, the song makes me homesick for Ireland. Please click onto the link below to experience a musical gem.

http://youtu.be/hNg8VGrIqls






Ciao for now

No comments: