Wednesday, August 8, 2012

KATIE TAYLOR ...AND WHAT SHE DOES NEXT



       Ireland's Olympic Gold Medal Hopeful - Katie Taylor

I was buying some tiles for a fireplace today, when two rather excited ladies came into the store and exclaimed to the man behind the counter, that Irish Olympic boxing hopeful Katie Taylor, had won her semi-final bout this afternoon against Tajikistan's Movzuna Chorieva. John, I think his name was, didn't appear to  reciprocate their excitement. Of course, that may not have necessarily signified a disinterest, because Katie wasn't male;  it might just be however, that he was concentrating on doing one thing at a time, since men aren't supposed to be good at multi-tasking. Naturally, I am delighted that Katie and Ireland are at least on for an Olympic silver medal. I just wish it was for another sport.

I have watched very little of the Olympic TV coverage, not because I'm disinterested, but I've just had other commitments. However, I had a houseful of men over the August bank holiday weekend, and whilst they were waiting to be fed and afterwards, the TV and the Olympics were switched on. They called me in to watch the fastest man on the planet, Jamaican runner, Bolt, win his amazing100 metres sprint final. I sat a while then, and a ladies boxing bout came on. This was my first time watching two women box each other, and as much as I believe in the equality of women, I cannot get my head around one woman boxing another woman in the face and around the head. I then watched a few minutes of a ladies soccer match between Canada and USA and there were headers flying into the goal all over the place, and whilst it was good to see an abundance of goal-scoring; it didn't feel natural either. I've been trying to figure out why these two sports, played by women on this occasion, but in particular, boxing, stands out from other sports enjoyed by both sexes. After all, I remember watching Cassius Clay (Mohammad Ali) causing a sensation in the world of boxing back in 1964, as he danced around the ring, before 'stinging like a bee', and knocking out reigning world heavy-weight champion Sonny Liston. I watched every fantastic Irish soccer game during the Italia 1990 World cup campaign with enormous relish. It was quite simply..... unforgettable. So why......???

I think its about OVERT AGGRESSION. The picture of Katie Taylor above is filled with it. The faces of the girls as they scored their goals the other night, were creased with it. Yes, I understand that to win sporting competitions, the individual male or female has to adopt an aggressive attitude towards their own training schedule and with huge personal sacrifices, in much the same way that a concert pianist does if he or she is playing with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. Undoubtedly girls can be supremely aggressive in their catty remarks to one another, whereas boys appear to settle their disputes by shoving, punching or kicking each other. Putting aside the exceptions, that being at war with another country can force; women, of course, fight openly with each other sometimes late at night after too much to drink; 'legless' and shoe-less, and quite often  over a man, but I would suggest that for the most part, these episodes are not premeditated.

The whole country of Ireland will be behind Katie as she does what she does next.....against the Russian, Sofya Ochigava in the final. The wheel of aggression has already been set in motion with the bitchy, acerbic comments emanating from the Russian corner. Resorting to physical violence rather than a dialogue to settle a dispute is not good, but to walk into a ring, planning to box someone's head in, or punch out their lights, without knowing their opponent and no axe to grind, in the name of sport and light entertainment, is quite frankly barbaric and grotesque, whether male or female.

I have been known to enjoy watching two gals slipping and sliding around in the mud outside the saloon of an old Western or two, trying to land a right hook or tear each other's hair out; all for the heart of one sheriff or gun-slinging outlaw. Unladylike behaviour and violent ... but surely, an example of unpremeditated passion by the very least token.

Imagine the person, that a fighter of either sex faces in the ring, might actually be a friend under other circumstances. Crazy world, ain't it!






Ciao for now!

1 comment:

Heaven said...

I can't stand boxing but its a sport, which some people pay for entertainment. Aggression is needed to fuel the desire to win at all cost ~ Thankfully its over now ~