Saturday, December 13, 2014

AM I STILL ALIVE ?






AM I STILL ALIVE ?



He asked the question 'Am I still alive?'
Why,,,,when he felt the coldness of concrete step
Under his bloated....matted head.
Why....when he felt the wrath of the winter wind
Slashing his fading....wasting will.
Why ask the question 'Am I still alive?'

In the dark, in a door way, another poem stirred
And quickly put to heart, if it's ever to be heard.
Daylight is restored, and a whiff of sanity
Enough to set those words down; give them....authority.

He asked the question, 'Am I still alive?'
Why....when he felt the vicious kick of steel-capped boot
Joycean glasses smashing against his one last tooth
Why....when his nostrils filled with petrol's stench
In flames his charring body on that bloody lonely bench
Why ask the question 'Am I still alive?'




Maureen Walsh - December 2014







Ciao for now!




1 comment:

Emma Walsh said...

Heartbreakingly evocative! Never mind see these images, I can smell them!